Gioielli Pantalena History
Francesco Pantalena, founder of the Gioielli Pantalena brand, has been a highly regarded jewelery art craftsman for over seventy years. His story in Brazil started in 1939, when he disembarked with his family in São Paulo, coming from Italy, and soon after he got into the business, under the guindance of a family's friend.
Years later, having a small work shop downtown on Barão de Paranapiacaba Street, a region that at this time was already the traditional center of jewelry commerce, he received his first orders from some elegant mansions of the Barão de Itapetininga Street. Quickly, the jeweler became the favorite of the quality of the raw material he used but also for the perfectionism of his work.
Francesco spent weeks working on a single piece and through the confection of jewels inspired by the Holywood movies and by the French postcards that dictated the tendency of the 1940's he sought to valorize women's beauty and to recreate the atmosphere of glamour of that time.
By that time Francesco moved to Xavier de Toledo Street in São Paulo downtown, a street known for its most luxurious shops, where he bought a comfortable shop and established his atelier in order to attend his elegant female customers, as well as the rich entrepreneurs and distinguished businessmen who were well-known in the Paulistanean society.
In the core of several charity events, dinners and parties of the Italian comunity, there was always the presence of Irma Pantalena, Francesco's wife, who showed, with great spontaneity the beautiful jewels from her husband, thus spreading the brand and gaining the loyality of a selected clientele.
In that horizon, Francesco never needed, nor wanted to open a shop, keeping himself as a jeweler behind "closed doors", which allowed him to preserve a traditional method for manufacturing his exclusive pieces and also to offer a personalized service.
During the 1960's, the Gioielli Pantalena became a national reference, when thick slave bracelets, encrusted with Brazilians stones sold very successfully at the sophisticated Roma Astuccio D'Oro jewelry and were worn by Ornella Vanoni and Mina, icon singers at that time.
Despite the popularization of the jewels consumption in Brazil, during the 1970's and 1980's, through the increase of shops and advertisements in magazines of great circulation, Francesco kept aside that universe and stayed loyal to his ideals, believing that a good jeweler was the one who did not follow trends, instead offered his customers a high quality piece of jewel, well crafted, timeless, without letting to show exclusivity.
That kind of thinking enabled Francesco to elaborate pieces with completely distinguished styles. He developed works from the most detailed coating, a technique that he understood deeply and through which he created several shades and shapes, to the most expensive and luxurious pieces of jewel that mixed white diamonds, corals and turquoises, showing vivid and figurative motives.
By the end of the 1970's, Mario Pantalena, son of Francesco, with his deep cultural background, created, for his fathers's brand, plotted gold rings and bracelets that became a national fever. Mario also developed a more conceptual line of jewels by mixing together materials which were not so valorized by then, such as turquoise, corals and ancient coins.
During the decade of 1990, Mario (son), Ana Flavia and Paulo Augusto (a third generation of jewelers) engaged in the business, adding some freshness to their grandpa's brand. Through the knowledge and techniques in jewelry production acquired in courses at the Sotheby's Institute of Art (London) and at the Gemological Institute of America (New York), they developed a contemporary line of jewels for the traditional Gioielli Pantalena.
For seven years, grandpa and grandchildren shared moments of success with the new line. Nowadays, Mario is the head jeweler for the brand: Pantalena Joias Contemporâneas (Pantalena Contemporary Jewels).